Friday, July 29, 2011

Everything has a beginning...

I would like to start this blog out on the right foot by saying that this will not be an every day blog, but I will keep the key events in my life posted here.

I decided to start blogging because I always feel like there is so many emotions swirling around inside of me that I should let out so that people can better understand why I am the way that I am, and who knows. It may even help someone face what they are dealing with from another perspective. When I sat down and started to make this blog account it asked me for a name of my blog. At this moment, I realized that I had not thought once about what I was going to call it. So I did some thinking about my life and what I really wanted to do with it, and decided on "Thoughts from the Cutting Room Floor." Now for the explanation of the name.

For those of you who don't know, I absolutely LOVE theater and acting, especially musicals. I was in a local casting of RENT that went magically and I couldn't ask for anything more because that was one of my lifelong dreams. It's not often that you get to cash one of those in. Shortly after we finished the production, my (or what I call my) tragedy struck. I contracted Bell's Palsy. For those of you who have never heard of it, it's where there is swelling around the nerves between your ear and your jaw and it basically makes them ineffective. This leads to total paralysis of the side of the face that it happens on. I will admit that I panicked. I went to see doctor's and they told me that I would be fine. They told me that I should get complete control of the muscles on the left side of my face within nine months. However, they mentioned a little statistic. Apparently 3% of people who get Bell's Palsy never regain total control of the muscles, and apparently I am one of those 3%. It's been almost a year and a half now and I still don't have complete control. When I chew, smile, or raise my eyebrows my left eye tries to close. This is why I chose the name that I did, and refer to myself as the "Broken Performer" because I know how the business is. Broadway wants perfection, and perfection in acting is just something that I can no longer even attempt to do. I'm not saying that I was perfect before, but I was working on it. The only comfort that I take away from this is that there are a lot more people like me that are left lying on the Cutting Room Floor than there are living the life that we all wish we had.

There, now that the back story is out of the way, here's to hoping for happy, funny blogs in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Love you, Luke. Miss you tons and I hope that you are doing well. Your comment on my blog just about made my day.

    ReplyDelete